This designated equestrian-only campground is surrounded by rolling hills and lush hardwood forests. There are more than 100 miles of mixed-use trails (motorized and non-motorized) available for horseback riding, hiking and watching wildlife. There is access to the Black Mountain Pathway (30 miles of non-motorized trail). This rustic campground has access to vault toilets and potable water from a well-hand pump. Black Lake Trail Camp was formally a part of Twin Lakes State Forest Campground.
Equestrian trail rider groups planning an event, must submit an event permit. If the event will utilize multiple facilities, please contact the Cadillac Operations Service Center at 231-775-9727 x6006. If the event will only utilize one facility, please contact 231-627-2811.
Length: 100+ Miles
Type: Riding, Hiking, Cross-Country Skiing
Terrain: Hills, woods
Camping: Yes! The campground is available to equestrian campers only, including groups. Reservations are not required but are recommended. To check availability or make a reservation, please contact Cheboygan State Park at 231-627-2811. Sites are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Call for availability.
The campground is located adjacent to 100 miles of mixed-use trails (motorized and non-motorized) available for horseback riding. It also includes an additional 30 miles of non-motorized on the Black Mountain Pathway.
Black Mountain Pathway Trailhead: Is 11 miles north of Onaway via Count Road 489.
- Scramble Area: 11550 Ski Road, Cheboygan, MI 49721
- Black Lake (Bluffs) Trailhead: 11015 Doriva Beach Road, Cheboygan, MI 49721
- Twin Lakes Trailhead: 10440 Twin Lakes Road Cheboygan, MI 49721
- County Line Trailhead Pathway: 8923 North County Line Road, Onaway MI 49765
- 489 Barrier-Free Pathway/picnic area Trailhead: 7316 County Road 489, Onaway MI 49765
- Bummers Roost – 489 ORV/Snowmobile Trailhead: 6926 County Road 489, Onaway MI 49765